Frees it in Time Photography

Capturing life through a lens

Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington

Beautiful...Real...Timeless - Beautiful people, Real moments, Timeless Imagery - I started in photography in high school and have spent many hours watching people and thinking "What makes a great shot?" It's the story... the story of someone's life captured forever, through a photograph. This is what I do... this is what I love.

9.24.2010

How do you know Fall has arrived?

My mom always tells the story of when I was a baby and she would feed me vegetable beef soup {yes the Campbell's type}. We didn't have much money, in fact I grew up in the low income housing ghetto in Everett until I was 6 or 7 {go ahead and cry for me now, it's a sad, sad story {wink} then my mom married my wonderful "real" dad {you know the one who actually cares for you with his heart and money even though you don't carry his gene's} Ok, sorry, back to the story. I guess I would sit in my high chair and eat bowl after bowl, the whole time "mmmmm" and "mmmming" my way through it till every bite was gone.
I was the epitome of the Campbell's "mmm mmm good" slogan.

As I grew my mom would make a homemade version of vegetable beef soup that to this day is my favorite and if you are lucky enough to have had some you know what I am talking about.

It's full of
red potatoes - carrots - onion - yellow & green zucchini - broccoli - cauliflower - tomato base - and beef.... mmmm good!

The weather here in Seattle has been, um, should I say, rainy lately! You may ask... "isn't it always rainy in Seattle?" And I would say "not usually in September." Our average is 1 1/2 inches during September which is low for us. At 3 weeks in we are over 3 1/2 already! But here's my point... My family isn't all that obsessed with vegetables or soup like I am, but I can always tell it's Fall when the request is my mom's vegetable beef soup. So the other night I made this...
It's wonderful, a tradition, and my way of knowing fall has arrived. If you want the recipe {it's a bit of a family secret} leave a comment and I will tell you how you too can enjoy this fall favorite
{it even gets better the next day as leftovers, gotta love that!}

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

um, yum!!

Your chicken soup is delish too!

September 24, 2010 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Christina Frees said...

Another comment?! what? how am I so lucky :) I should make some and overnight it to you.

September 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger Ivy Sandstrom said...

I love it!! This made me cry in a VERY good way :) This brings back such good memories. I miss those days when you were younger and that you loved my soup :) and I love what you wrote!

September 30, 2010 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger Ivy Sandstrom said...

Oops! The comment before from from me, Mom. I don't know why it said johnsandstrom. Oh well, I don't know what I'm doing with these computers :)

September 30, 2010 at 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home